The ‘R’ Series (Economy) transformer breathers are manufactured from UV stabilised polycarbonate and are available in 3 sizes. The clear polycarbonate body allows users to easily monitor the condition of the desiccant.
The unit is mounted from a ¾” female pipe thread connection at the top of the breather. This connection point is also used for filling and emptying the desiccant within the breather.
Two-way, low pressure valves are fitted in the base of the breather to ensure that the atmospheric air enters the desiccant when a negative pressure differential occurs within the equipment being protected.
These units can be connected in parallel using the new "Dual Breather" manifold where increased capacity is required. This doubles the time between maintenance and allows the use of the economy series breather on larger transformers which would otherwise require a more expensive breather.
- High performance UV stabilised clear polycarbonate
- IP65 rating
- ISO9001/2008 design approved
- Suitable for 1250 kVA to 750 MVA Transformers
- Operating temperature range –50°C to +70°C
- Weather resistant
- Simple installation
- Low dusting beaded silica gel desiccant
- Indicating desiccant changes from blue – pink; orange - green
The breather is supplied with a threaded sealing plug screwed into the top moulding to prevent any water vapour ingress whilst in storage. This plug should be removed immediately prior to the unit being fitted to the air vent pipe of the transformer reservoir tank. Fit the breather and tighten using the spanner flats provided at the top of the unit. Maximum torque on threads is 9Nm/80lbfin.
NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SCREW OR UNSCREW THE BREATHER BY HOLDING THE BODY WITH YOUR HANDS, USE A SPANNER ON THE FLATS PROVIDED.
When the desiccant becomes saturated, follow the steps below for changing out the spent silica gel. (Alternatively, entire breather can be replaced.)
- Unscrew the breather from the vent pipe.
- Remove the perforated cover in the top moulding and empty the spent silica gel from the container. This material may be disposed of in a normal landfill.
- Fill the container with active orange or blue silica gel and lightly tap the container to settle the desiccant and top up if necessary.
- Replace the perforated cover and screw the breather back onto the vent pipe.
Max. Oil Contents
Max. Air Space
Max Air Volume
Cycle Time (Days)
|Complies With||ISO9001/2008 Design|
|Running Temperatures||–50°C to +70°C|
|Desiccant||Indicating Silica Gel|
|Material||UV stabilised clear polycarbonate|
|Dimensions||362mm H x 108mm D|
|Protects||Conservator up to 4750L oil capacity|